ADVANCES IN GENETIC MEDICINE
Thursday 3rd December 2020
This meeting is sponsored by:
NOTE: This will now be held as an online
meeting. Details of how to attend will be sent to delegates after
Advanced Therapies such as genetic medicines or genetically engineered cell-based drugs are coming of age, with the recent approvals of
CAR T-cell therapies and Luxterna, Zolgensma, Onpattro and Exondys 51 demonstrating the validity of these approaches in the treatment of
a range of medical conditions. Such therapies offer the potential to treat and even cure previously intractable diseases, for example
those associated with specific genetic abnormalities.
This meeting that will provide an overview of emerging approaches the field of genetic medicines through a range of project presentations
on cutting-edge modalities and their application in a range of therapeutic areas.
- Brian Bigger, University of Manchester - Haematopoietic stem cell gene therapies for neurological diseases: How do we widen participation and scope?
- David Blakey, MiNA Therapeutics - Small Activating RNAs – a novel therapeutic approach to upregulate target genes building on the clinical success of siRNAs
- Lewis Brayshaw, GSK- Development of next-generation T cell therapies: the immune system meets synthetic and chemical biology
- Anna Perdrix Rosell, SixFol Bio - Building targeted delivery systems - increasing safety and efficacy for oligonucleotide-based therapeutics in oncology
- Zandy Forbes, MeiraGTx - Title to follow
- Lucie Bruijn, AveXis (a Novartis Company) - Gene Therapy for SMA: The translational Journey
Early career researcher short talks
In addition to the confirmed speakers, there will be an opportunity for early career researchers to present
a 5-10 minute talk on topics aligned to this theme in front of
the full audience Please submit a one-page abstract (using these
guidelines) by Friday 23 October 2020 to
£10 student rate
£20 member rate
£45 non-member rate
The Society's AGM will be held as a separate online event during December.
The date for this
will be confirmed in due course and details will be circulated to all members.